Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Today's Lunch: Steamed Broccoli and Red Corn

I visited Henry's Farmers Market the other day and picked out some fresh vegetables and fruit that, in total, only cost me $7. I can't recall the last time that I walked out of a market with three bags of groceries without feeling like I just handed my life savings over. 
I normally never buy broccoli because I never think to eat it, but there was something about the fresh broccoli crowns at Henry's that made me want to venture out of my bubble. The other thing that struck me eye was the red corn. I must confess that I am a sucker for corn with a gorgeous medley of burgundies and browns. 
I kept it simple and just steamed the broccoli by throwing bite-sized florets into an inch of boiling water and letting it steam for about 5-6 minutes, or just until a fork pierces it with ease. To dress, I sprinkled some of my favorite homemade dressing (soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and pepper) over it. 

9 Comments:

Blogger Brtgn said...

I've never even seen red corn here. Mmm...

Hey, have you ever heard of Chino Farm, north of San Diego? It's supposedly the best family owned farm for produce in the country.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chino-farm-rancho-santa-fe

August 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM  
Blogger Madeline said...

Wow, I've never even heard of red corn. It's so beautiful! I'm officially on the hunt.

August 13, 2008 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Kana said...

This is the first time I have seen red corn.

August 13, 2008 at 6:42 PM  
Blogger Masa said...

Try your local farmers markets on the weekend. If they don't have red corn, you can try the purple carrots or the heirloom tomatoes or other goodies. The corn had a mildly earthy taste and it was not overwhelmingly sweet. I cut some up and put it on a pizza and it was delicious!
Thanks for visiting!

August 13, 2008 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

Is it already fall? Where did summer go? I'm saddened by this post, but that red corn is pretty.

August 14, 2008 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Never heard of red corn either! Want some... now!

Purple carrots are delicious, oh so sweet..

August 14, 2008 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Masa, been trying to leave a message.

Just dropping by to tell you that this photo fits with the theme of Photo Contest that we're holding.

Today is the deadline, please find out more info on how to submit here: http://cookingetcetera.wordpress.com/2008/07/07/red-white-foodie-photo-contest/

There're some prizes for the lucky winners too :D

Good luck!

August 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger Brtgn said...

POST MORE POSTS!

September 16, 2008 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Alisa said...

This is the first time I've seen a red corn and it looks amazing! Im glad you shared this photo! http://www.foodista.com

March 12, 2010 at 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home